Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Swades -- Reflections of India: a shopper's paradise

I came across an article on Swades – Reflections of India in Little Black Book (LBB, Delhi) quite by accident while surfing the Net recently. I was surprised to learn that this little shop had been selling handicraft and hand loom products (items I’m quite crazy about) for over a year bang next door to me. It’s located in Central Market, Sector 50, Noida. And here I had been running all over Dilli Haat, Fab India, etc, for similar stuff all this while. How had I missed this gem when I usually spent half of my time scouting for such shops in every nook and cranny close to home?   


Swades -- Reflections of India
Kapil and Mani Rohatgi

I made the first visit to the shop simply out of curiosity and met Mani Rahatgi, the owner, who personally gave me a guided tour of the shop. Soon after I met Kapil Rohatgi, her husband, and learnt that it also keeps silver treasures (earrings, necklaces, pendants). Now I really have a soft corner for silver, so that was one of the first things I explored. And I wasn’t disappointed. The silver is genuine. Soon they plan to start on gold jewellery as well. They have both popular and exclusive designs, so if you’re one for authentic stuff, it is the right place for you.  


While chatting with them I came to know that Mani had had a long career in teaching before she quit to pursue her passion – collecting traditional artifacts, handloom items and silver jewellery from all over India and setting up this shop. Kapil has a career in travel, but treats Swades as an alternative that really is a passion.


Bed cover
Our association developed into friendship pretty quickly. So much so that now I’m at their shop every other week – just to say hello if nothing else. It is a cozy space and I like visiting it over and over again to explore the new additions. I’ve rarely come across a couple so devoted to their work and so eager to showcase it to every customer or window-shopper who happens to step inside. They describe it as a ‘total desi store’ into which they have put their heart and soul. They travel all over the country and meet artisans personally. Every item is hand-picked. They don’t compromise on quality and it shows. Also, the products are reasonably priced. In fact there is a whole range available when it comes to fabric and linen. 

Bed cover
Right now the Noida shop is their only shop, though they hope to expand and open other branches in the future. The items range from fabrics (traditional yarns) – to Kalamkari and Kantha dupattas, hand-knotted and painted dupattas, ordinary cotton and Kantha bed sheets/bedcovers (including king-size), and now also cushion covers. Mani also has a good tailor to suggest -- just in case -- and she may be visiting the shop for her customers once a week. 


Amongst artefacts you can find Sancheti figurines of all sizes, Bastar tribal wrought iron crafts and wall hangings, fancy metal planters and tea-light hangers and holders, Rajasthani photo frames and jewellery boxes, traditional brass figurines, antique wooden chests and marble-top stools, etc. Every few weeks there are new additions.

 The shop is certainly worth a visit. If you haven’t done your Dussera/Diwali shopping yet, I strongly recommend that you try it out for various gift items. You will not regret it. J


















Swades – Reflections of India,

B-37/1, 1st Floor, Central Market, Sector 50, Noida

Ph: +919810719265

Email: manirohatgi@gmail.com


FB page: https://www.facebook.com/swades2016/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers