Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Big Fat Indian Hospitality


Whenever I have to eat at another person's house, or stay with someone for a few days, it's a huge problem -- not because people aren't nice, but because they are.

This whole big Indian culture that firmly believes in stuffing-till-he-bursts kind of guest feeding will literally be the death of me someday. Indians believe in stuffing their guests with food more in the manner of a taxidermist than anything else.

It's worse when you've been endowed with a delicate gastric system on top of that. It is quite impossible trying to explain to somebody that my normal, every day meal consists of one roti, half a katori of dal, and one spoon of sabzi. (All right, so my figure does not exactly endorse the fact, but it is true nevertheless.) Try explaining it to any relative or friend you've gone visiting. It's always met with overtly skeptical glances, and an airy, 'Oh, just this once won't cause any harm.'

So, out of sheer love and affection for you, your relatives present you with ten kinds of fish (because you said you loved it) at every meal.

Okay, so I love fish. I mean, I really do. But that still doesn't make it possible for me to ingest ten varieties  every time I step anywhere near the dining table. Plus the salad. Plus the fruit. Plus the ten varieties of sweet dish 'found only in this part of the world'. And I'm the cynosure of every eye as long as I'm sitting there. I dare not fumble.

There comes a time when I have to make a conscious effort not to stumble anywhere near the premises even by mistake.

Cornered, I can't turn the food down because it would hurt them (since they've made all the effort only for my sake, and it would be heartbreaking to see their hopeful faces wilting), and I can't take it in either, because it would wreak havoc upon my system if I do. Plus I have half a million food allergies that'll take a lifetime to explain to people if I ever got around to even trying.

So it's best to stay at a hotel -- and be my own mistress. At least I can peacefully make myself a cup of coffee (not tea) with milk powder (not milk), and stick to my strange diet. I get labelled as an unfriendly, snobbish sort -- not interested in meeting or mixing with people. But, to me, honestly, it's just a piece of well-deserved freedom away from home.  

7 comments:

  1. You have aptly described the overly nice Indian host. I personally prefer the buffet lunches and dinners when I am invited. They are such a relief as compared to the sit-down meals.

    Your diet isnt strange! I too love coffee with milk powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the point is to be one-self, hotels are fine for doing one's thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except in a few (not all) developed countries like the UK, USA, Canada etc. the practice of force-feeding guests is common all over the world. It even happens in European countries like Spain or Italy. The Arabs do it. The Sabras in Israel do it. All of South and South Asia does it. And most of us dont mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pleasures: Yes, perhaps... except that I don't really have an option. I'm allergic to milk!

    @Subrat: That's exactly the point.

    @Vinod: You're probably right, but it becomes a huge problem if one has genuine health issues. It's impossible trying to be polite and firm at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaa loved it!! I agree the points which you have mentioned..
    If we are guest people expect us to eat a lot, doesnt matter what our appetite says :P
    but on the other hand we do expect same from our guests..Don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, Sneha, I make it a point not to insist though, of course, it's always nice when people eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still, hospitality is something to be deeply valued.
    It is always rather a dull shock to find that not every culture insists on feeding you, in fact quite the opposite. I'm not being nostalgic - just recognising the sheer warmth that is readily available the moment you step into the domain of an Indian woman's home :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers