Sunday, March 20, 2011

Memories of Invisibility

'Memories of invisibility: in the basket, I learned what it was like, will be like, to be dead. I had acquired the characteristics of ghosts! Present, but insubstantial; actual, but without being or weight ... I discovered, in the basket,  how ghosts see the world. Dimly hazily faintly ... it was around me, but only just; I hung in a sphere of absence at whose fringes, like faint reflections, could be seen the spectres of wickerwork. The dead die, and are gradually forgotten; time does its healing, and they fade -- but in Parvati's basket I learned that the reverse is also true; that ghosts, too, begin to forget; that the dead lose their memories of the living, and at last, when they are detached from their lives, fade away -- that dying, in short, continues for a long time after death.' -- Midnight's Children


I know how the ghosts feel. 
I have stood on those fringes -- of memory,
Trapped in the sphere of absence,
Gasping to remember ... see, hear, feel ...
To hold those reflections,
Those spectres of wickerwork.
The dead die, and are forgotten,
The living sometimes die too...
Ambling as smoky impressions.
Indeed --
Dying continues a long time after death.


Oh ... were you looking for poetry? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers